Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Batswana perish in road accidents after attending World Cup opening in South Africa

Two days after the official opening of 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa, three Batswana who attended the opening matches burned to ashes when a car they were traveling in was involved in a tragic road accident.

They were on their way back to Botswana.

Police in the North West Province of South say they are investigating circumstances surrounding the death of three men from Botswana who died in a road accident on Sunday morning.
At least two of them worked for Standard Chartered Bank Botswana.

In an interview with The Telegraph Lt Colonel Lesego Metsi of South African Police said all the three were burned to ashes after the car they were driving collided with a truck.

The head-on collision resulted with the Botswana bound car catching fire.

All the three occupants were burned beyond recognition.

Colonel Metsi said the accident happened when the car that was headed to Botswana tried to overtake a truck.

Police suspect the Botswana driver underestimated the distance and speed of the oncoming truck, leading to a head-on collision.

Metsi added that the occupants had been just attended the opening matches in Rustenberg.

“Already their families have arrived in South Africa to identify the deceased and make arrangements on how the bodies can be repatriated to Botswana,” he said, adding that the deceased were working for Standard Chartered Bank in Gaborone.

Standard Chartered Public Affairs Manager, Ithabeleng Letsunyane, said that two of their staff members died in South Africa in a road accident after attending a soccer game between the United States and England.

She said Standard Chartered Bank Botswana had bought about 15 tickets for their staff members.
The deceased had used their own transport when the rest of staff members used transport provided by the bank.

Meanwhile, the Executive Chairman of Shell Botswana, Boitumelo Sekwababe said one of their managers was also involved in a road accident that happened in South Africa over the weekend.

He said the manager had gone there on private business.


Read this week's paper