Saturday, April 13, 2024

Bitter-sweet welcome awaits Premier League rookies

The long awaited 2013/14 beMOBILE Premier League season got underway at the weekend with new boys Wonder Sporting Club and FC Satmos getting a rude welcome to the elite league when they suffered defeats in their opening matches. 
Only Orapa United managed to get maximum points when they narrowly beat Uniao Flamengo Santos 2-1 in the diamond-mining town of Orapa. On Saturday afternoon at UB Stadium, Notwane inflicted a 3-1 defeat to Wonder Sporting.
After the much publicized of former South African internationals Manqoba Ngwenya and Benedict Vilakazi, Notwane fans came in droves to watch the duo.
While Ngwenya started the match, Vilakazi was introduced in the second half much to the delight of his fans. It was Ngwenya who opened the scoring in the first half from the spot while another debutant Lesego Lubinda scored a brace in the second half.
With Toronto enjoying a healthy 3-0 lead, Ngwenya reminded his fans of his old tricks much to their delight.
For most of the game, Notwane looked solid at the back with Isaac Paeye and Maemo Segokgo looking solid. Paeye was later voted man of the match for his solid performance.
Wonder reduced the deficit towards the end of the game when Thato Madima finished with aplomb from inside the box. Despite the defeat, Wonder Sporting showed some signs of brilliance but they were let down by poor finishing.
The police team fielded some of their tested campaigners like Farasai Nyamunamwendo and Betsho Pius who captained the side. Nyamunamwendo came close to scoring on a couple of occasions but was let down by his poor decisions.
Notwane coach Kaizer Kobedi said that whilst he was impressed by his team’s performance, there were some areas which he needed to address going forward.
“Obviously I’m happy with the win but we have to work on our possession. I want us to hold on the possession,” said Kobedi.
“I’m very disappointed with the way the referee handled the game. He was very poor and he gave Notwane a dubious penalty whilst we were denied two clear penalties,” fumed Wonder SC coach, Isaiah Mogwadi.
Despite the poor officiating, Mogwadi was not disappointed by the way his team played.
“We created chances and I’m confident that we’re going to fight in the upcoming games,” said Mogwadi.
In Selebi-Phikwe on Sunday afternoon, defending champions Mochudi Centre Chiefs beat FC Satmos 2-0 with goals from Onalethata Tshekiso and Bonolo Frazer.
The two marksmen were making their official debut after they were signed in the off-season. It was a game in which many thought Chiefs would make mince meat of the rookies but FC Satmos stood their ground.
Satmos coach, Mooketsi ‘China’ Mading, said he was satisfied with the performance of his team but they were let down by their inexperience.
“It was obviously going to be difficult to play against the defending champions. Our plan was not to allow them (Chiefs) to come inside our goal area and the plan worked well because we restricted them to shoot from long range,” said Mading.
He said that had it not been for poor goalkeeping they could have salvaged at least a draw from the game.
“What came clear from the game is that we need to get another striker and we’ll have to do it urgently. Otherwise all is not lost,” concluded Mading.
In Orapa there were wild celebrations when the home side Orapa United registered a surprise 2-1 win over Santos.
It was Oaitse Leeme and Tumelo Mazebedi who ensured that the home side register their first win in the top division. Santos got their consolation goal through Mpho Kgaswane.


Read this week's paper