Thursday, February 9, 2023

BMC woes continue

A first half solitary strike from Gaborone United (GU) winger, Kgololo Kgogobi, was enough to sink BMC Football Club whilst elevating GU into the be Mobile Premiere League top four. The strike, which came in the 30th minute of the encounter which was hosted at the Molepolole Sports Complex on Thursday, proved enough to condemn BMC to a third consecutive defeat in six days. The lose means the troubled Lobatse outfit stays routed at the bottom of the be Mobile league log.

In a game that could have gone either way, it was Gaborone United who took the initiative and looked destined to bury BMC in a glut of goals which never came. ‘The Reds,’ as GU is affectionately known showed their intent within the first few minutes as they created chances which they failed to make count. The first clear chance came in the 6th minute when striker Ronald Chikomo, who was at the receiving end of a through ball from the middle of the park, went one-on-one against Edwin Mokibe in BMC goal, only for the BMC goalie’s legs to deny the striker and concede a corner. From the corner, which was delivered by Kgogobi, Chikomo headed onto the cross bar. GU’s next chance came a few minutes later when Osego Gaotewe well hit shot from about 25 meters from goal only for Mokibe to fist it back into play. GU should have however taken the lead on the 22nd minute when Edwin Olerile came at the end of a Mandla Mgadla corner, only for him to miss the chance. ‘The Reds’ would however wait only eight minutes for their deserved goal when Olerile took a shot corner to Kgogobi a few meters from the 18th area.

With acres of space, the winger picked his spot and fired a powerful volley which brushed the fist of Mokibe on its way into the net. GU should have pulled two goals ahead in the dying minutes of the half but were denied by the BMC defence which was expertly marshaled by Captain Mosha Gaolaolwe.

Gaolaolwe first cleared an Olerile bound strike on the goal line in the 44th minute. Kutlo Sejeso made another clearance in the penalty area to ensure BMC went into the break only one goal down. Having witnessed his team miss a lot of chances during the first half, GU coach Major David Bright rung changes at the beginning of the second half, bringing in Jomo Moatlhaping for Mpho Kgaswane.

It was however BMC who started the half brighter of the two teams as they earned themselves a set piece on the edge of the box in the 47th minute. The resultant set piece however came to naught as it hit the GU wall. Despite not creating many scoring opportunities in the half, BMC were a changed team as they grew in confidence and controlled the game. Sensing a chance to earn at least a point from the game, stand-in coach Nelson Olebile went in for a double substitution, bringing into play Elijah Montsho and Sageby Sandaka for Bongani Vilakazi and Patrick Mathaba. Sandaka however missed a chance to bring BMC level in the 24th minute when he shot over the bar after a good work from winger Kago Segokgo. After skipping past two GU defenders, the youngster threaded a well taken pass into the box, which Pilato did well to let it roll to Sandaka, only for the striker to sky his effort over the bar. BMC were at it again four minutes later as they found their way past the GU defence, only for their effort to hit the upright.

BMC looked on course to get at least a point from the game in the 41st minute only to be denied by an Olerile goal line clearance. Subsequent efforts from Boitshoko Zikhale in the 45th and Segokgo in added time failed to bear fruit as they went wide or were saved by Noah Maposa as GU held on to earn all the three points.


Read this week's paper