Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Car dealership installs pioneering water management system

While a water deficit was previously unimaginable in Botswana on a normal day, it sadly is a reality that has perched itself on the national discourse, forcing businesses to stomach unanticipated and unintended costs. However, from an economic perspective one quickly gets to understand that a loss for one is a gain for another. Generally speaking, as the business community struggles to contain losses occasioned by water shortages, innovative businesses identify opportunities to provide solutions for a fee during these challenging times.

The benefit is however achieved on both ends. This scenario is perfectly demonstrated by the solution that Multi Water and Multi Waste provided to Naledi and Molapo Motors so as to help reduce their dependency on water when washing cars and trucks. The bigger picture in this story is that in the face of an undesirable water shortage situation, a company was able to offer a water management solution whose benefit will go far and beyond the immediate water crisis.

Boasting of 11 years experience in providing water and wastewater management solutions, Multi Water and Multi Waste supplied and installed a water recycling system that uses bacteria to digest waste without any added chemicals at Naledi and Molapo Motors. The company took the media on a tour to demonstrate how the washing and recycling process works last week Thursday. The illustration shed insight on how the system re-uses 90 percent of the water that was used to wash cars and trucks, while the remaining 10 percent was lost to evaporation and spillage.

Naledi Motors and Molapo Motors are dealerships that have a sizeable operation dedicated to washing cars and trucks, an activity that uses lots of water. To reduce the considerable amount of water used, given the current water shortage situation, the companies installed a biological wash bay recycling plant to reduce escalating costs of water. The recycling system reportedly saves the companies between 3000L and 6000L per day respectively.

In monetary terms the dealerships have saved around P30 000 over a period of six months. The system therefore saves an estimated 180 000L per month, an amount that can be used by around 50 people. Another benefit is that the biological digestion makes the system environmentally acceptable. With only eight months in the market, this pioneering recycling system will be installed in similar operations to Naledi and Molapo Motors. For example, small car wash establishments that are cluttered on almost every corner street stand to benefit from this recycling system.

However, the car washes will first have to build infrastructure that captures the water. If captured and re-used, the large amounts of water that seep into the ground during washing could save the establishments a great deal of money. The water recycling system is estimated to have a life expectancy of 10 years with regular and consistent maintenance. It is however worth noting that the recycle system does not come cheap, as it would take three to five years to pay for an installation of the system. However, price varies according to size.

RELATED STORIES

Read this week's paper