Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Gov’t facing litigation following death during circumcision

There have been two unfortunate incidents, including a loss of life, after conducting Safe Male Circumcision in the Northern part of the country.

The Assistant Minister of Health, Gaotlhaetse Matlhabaphiri, has told parliament that they had experienced an incident in which a 4-year-old boy failed to wake up from general anaesthesia in Letsholathebe Memorial Hospital in Maun after circumcision was performed on him.
The boy later died.

Matlhabaphiri later told The Telegraph that the matter is currently with lawyers and would not comment on it until it has been resolved.

He had been asked whether they have compensated the affected family.

He said the second incident occurred in December last year at Tutume Primary Hospital, where the head of the penis of a 10-year-old boy was partially traumatized when circumcision was administered on him, adding that the patient is currently undergoing some treatment.

Matlhabaphiri, however, assured parliament that Safe Male Circumcision program is doing very well across the country with a success record of 33 percent.

Francistown MP Wynter Mmolotsi had wanted to know the success rate of Safe Male Circumcision and whether the minister is aware of some unsuccessful cases in the Northern part of the country.

RELATED STORIES

Read this week's paper