Friday, December 3, 2021

Heavy security as Stimela appears in court

Police say they foiled a planned escape by three murder suspects who were scheduled to appear before a magistrate court in Mochudi.

Like in a Hollywood movie, most of the internal routes that go through Mochudi to the Magistrate Court were heavily guarded by the police, with a helicopter providing assistance from above.
This follows after Kegone Victor Sebina (40), Aubrey Nkuna (35), and Thabo Stimela (46) appeared before court to answer to a single count of murder last week.

In a brief interview with Sunday Standard at the Magistrate Court, Detective Superintendent Phenyoitsile of Mochudi Police Station said, “We had to provide very heavy security with the help of a police helicopter for the three murder suspects that appeared before the Mochudi magistrate.”

He said they had received intelligence information to the effect that some of the suspects might try to escape with the help of other people.

The defense lawyer, Unoda Mark, wondered why the police were providing such heavy security.”
“If my mind serves me well, this is the first time I saw such heavy security that the police provide for the murder suspects with the help of a police helicopter,” he said.

Mack said the second accused person is a pure Motswana who has businesses and Stimela is South African and is often in Botswana.

He added that as far as he is concerned, Stimela has no pending case with either the police, the Directorate on Economic Crime or the courts.

However, the state counsel, Ambrose Mubika, told the court that the first accused person can be given bail while the other two suspects can be remanded in custody as police are closer to completing their investigation.

He told the court that the police are still waiting for information from Interpol.
Mubika said the police want to verify with the South African Police Service if they might have any criminal case against Stimela.

When asked about Stimela’s nationality, he replied that “that needs to be verified by the police”.
The first accused person was granted bail of P20 000 with two sureties.

The bail hearing of the other two suspects will be debated on the 28th of this month.

The suspects have not yet taken a plea.


Read this week's paper