Saturday, May 21, 2022

Maun students seek equal treatment

Maun Senior Secondary School students have through their Head boy Brian Monnaangaka requested that they be given the same treatment enjoyed by their colleagues in pure sciences classes.

In his recent briefing at a meeting addressed by the Minister of Education and Skills Development Pelonomi Venson-Moitoi, Monnaangaka said teachers at the school have resorted to shifting their attention to pure science students only, as compared to those doing double and single sciences.

This is something which he believes has immensely contributed to the large number of failures as they feel isolated from the rest. He said this group of students has always been provided with the necessary text books and teaching aids, and have never encountered any interruptions while their peers with learning difficulties always have always been made to scramble to get the same.

“This has proven to be quite a hindrance amongst us, because to date we have not been given valid reasons as to why this is happening. We have observed it even with the past form fives, and now we are afraid it might grow to be a habit here. It is also worth noting that ours (form 5s) is a very disadvantaged group which has gone through so many trials and tribulations which befell this school. In fact it all started in form one when a new more complicated syllabus was introduced. We were also affected by the go-slow attitude on the part of some of our teachers, and so we plead that our teachers bear with us, and where possible give a helping hand. That’s all we ask,” he said.

In response the minister said it was ill-fated that students were deliberately detached from their peers.

“These are some of the things we least expect, particularly from an underperforming school like this one. You are neighbors with better performing schools and so you need to support these students and engage in bench-marking exercise. There seems to be too much laxity here, and so I still challenge the principal to follow this up, because what is happening now is quite intolerable,” she stated.

The Minister went on to express disappointment that to date, the eight burnt classrooms at the school have not been re-built. She suggested that the principal Mange Mafoko should make thorough enquiry with the Police so that whoever was behind the fires should be made to pay for the damages. Most of all, the minister said the devilish acts which were performed at the school the previous year were appalling.

“We don’t want to see a repeat of such. I believe whoever was behind that might have found it funny or in a way felt encouraged to do so. I do not want to see school going children being exposed to such things anymore, whether in this school or elsewhere. Nevertheless I had hoped by now I will be in possession of a detailed report explaining those actions and the end result, but nothing of that sort has happened,” she said.

Meanwhile board chairperson Olga Seretse said they couldn’t give a report as the police are said to be still working on the matter. However she said students have received counseling and that both teaching and non teaching staff were taken for a retreat last year to enliven their minds, as they were equally traumatized by the satanic acts.

RELATED STORIES

Read this week's paper