Saturday, December 4, 2021

Mother of A1 accident victim appeals for help

Two months after a road accident that claimed the lives of eight people along the A1 road between Phakalane and Gaborone last November, the mother of the only survivor, the wheel chair bound Lesego Ramatlhakolane, is appealing for help from the public to build a decent.

The 22-year-old man, Ramatlhakolane of Boseja ward in Mochudi, is expected to be discharged from the hospital soon but does not know where his wheel chair will be kept and what the future holds for him.

Ramatlhakolane’s mother narrated to this publication how the accident had completely changed her son’s life while the family remained uncertain about his future.

“The last time I saw my son on his feet was in the morning of November 9th last year. He told me that he was rushing to Gaborone for a piece job,” she said.

She narrated how on that fateful day, a Saturday morning, she went to attend a social gathering that was held somewhere within the ward only to be called a few hours later and to be informed that her son was involved in a car accident on his way to Gaborone.

She said the caller did not state the condition of her son but she went straight to Gaborone Private Hospital where he was hospitalised. “I rushed to GPH and upon arrival I was told that he was already in the Intensive Care Unit (I.C.U) in a very terrible state.”

The woman stated that her son was in I.C.U. for more than a month and she did not expect that he would survive considering the condition that he was in. According to her, there was no hope.

“The family kept praying and our prayers were answered and after about a month there was an improvement and hope for recovery,” she said.

She added that Ramatlhakolane was then transferred to Princess Marina Hospital a few days ago where he is still under medical care.

“As I talk to you he can now talk even though his speech is not that clear. He can now eat and this symbolizes a great improvement,” she stated.

She said what hurts most is the fact that he neither remembers nor understands what happened to him.

She said that doctors have revealed to her that his spinal cord was seriously injured and he will never be able to walk again.

“I am a poor single mother of four children and farm worker who already has very little to feed the whole family. The accident has worsened the situation now that my son cannot even do anything anymore. I do not know how I will meet his special needs,“ she said.

“I am appealing to the public at large to assist me with a house that has a water system that will suit his condition. I am not asking for anything that big but for what can be used to support his new living condition.”

She said currently the family is being given counseling and training on how to take care of him at home.

On the other hand, the woman said she would be grateful if she can meet the family of the lady who caused the accident. “I have never seen her family or heard that the family came to check on Lesego because that alone can contribute to healing our hearts.”

Head of traffic at Broadhurst Police Station, Assistant superintendent Meshach Pulenyane said, “We have completed investigation and an inquest leading to closure of the matter will be conducted. This however lies with the Directorate of Public Prosecution (DPP).”

He said the investigation has revealed that the accident was caused by a young lady who lost control of the vehicle she was driving and headed for incoming traffic resulting in a head on collision.

“As the police we know what caused the accident but we do not know what motivated the driver to drive on the incoming traffic,” he stated.

RELATED STORIES

Read this week's paper