Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Premier league sinks deeper into chaos

The troubled Botswana football fraternity was Friday evening thrown into confusion following the suspension of premier league games.

 News of the suspension reached the teams while some had already reached their destinations for Friday Night matches.

The Minister of Youth Sports and Culture Thapelo Olopeng, Botswana Football Association President Tebogo Sebego and Botswana National sports Commission Chairman, Solly Reikeletseng all had to disrupt their Friday evening to try and save the situation which had descended to near chaos.

The suspension of the games by the premier league board did not seat well with football and sport leadership in general. “I had to mediate to find a solution to the issue. I was called by the minister and BFA president to intervene and come up with a temporary solution that will see the league go through the weekend” said Reikeletseng.

 The National Sport Commission chairman explained that his involvement was to find an amicable solution to the problem. I went there to appraise myself of the facts and to promote a give and take among all parties to try and salvage the situation.

Sources have revealed that acting premier league board Chairman, Rapula Okaile and FC Satmos chairman Monnakgotla Mojaki delivered the league suspension letter.

The BNSC board chairman is optimistic that the league problems will be solved next week. “We had to protect the sponsors, supporters and other key stakeholders” Reikeletseng said, explaining his involvement.

BFA president Tebogo Sebego issued a strong worded letter to the premier league leadership, that, the BFA wishes to advise that no decision was taken to suspend the ongoing beMOBILE league matches. He warned that disciplinary action will be taken against clubs that fail to honour the league fixtures in adherence with the relevant sections of the BFA constitution and play rules and regulations.

The BFA president Sebego said he was disappointed that a decision was arrived at that seeks to stop the league. “I am disappointed with the way the board handled the matter. There is a bigger picture to look at the issue, the sponsors and the stakeholders” he said.

Mmegi Sport editor Mqondisi Dube “Football has suffered irreversible damage. It is a man made, badly managed crisis.  It is a clear sign that certain governance issues were trampled upon with impunity” he observed.

“It is a loud message that a complete change in tact is needed. The system where a compromised board becomes the referee and player at the same time is no longer sustainable. Change in tact is needed. The system where a compromised board becomes the referee and player at the same time is responsible for this stinking mess. It is a big test for Sebego’s leadership. Revise BPL structures and tighten controls to ensure that basics like registration of players are adhered to” equipped Dube.

RELATED STORIES

Read this week's paper