Sunday, April 21, 2024

Reds mired in wrangling over Gumbo’s contract

Things have not been all rosy in the Gaborone United camp as there are reports emerging that the team that is well renowned for stability, as compared to other teams, is entangled in internal wrangling. The team’s management is reported to be at each other’s throat over the thorny issue regarding the extension of the contract of the incumbent coach, Rahman Gumbo.

Gumbo is reported to have long fallen out of favour with most of the executive committee members as they were not willing to renew his contract which came to an end the just ended season. Information reaching The Telegraph Sports is that one influential team official just extended Gumbo’s contract without consulting the management. This is reported to have led to some executive committee members openly protesting the decision. The matter is reported to have reached boiling point on Saturday night after GU lost 3-0 to traditional rivals, Township Rollers at the National Stadium. It is also reported that some officials engaged in a fist fight after the game which ended up being restrained in order to prevent escalation.

A source who witnessed the altercation says the fight was very embarrassing especially to team of GU’s caliber. “In life differences are always there because people hold different views. But what happened and the manner it happened on Saturday was so humiliating. The officials exchanged bitter words in front of people and this was bad especially for a team like GU which is held in high regard. I believe something has always been cooking and it was a matter of time before it exploded,” the source said. Information reaching The Telegraph Sports is that many GU officials wanted to bring a new coach because of Gumbo’s failure to bring the league championship during his three year stay at the club.

It is also reported that a new coach has already been identified and interviewed; all that’s left is to negotiate and offer him a contract. Efforts to contact the team Secretary General, Herbert Letsebe proved futile at the time of going to press. On the other hand, Notwane face the prospect of going down to the First Division after failing to get the much needed points when they played against Selibe Phikwe side, FC Satmos on Sunday. Notwane’s loss means that they still lead Satmos by two points but Satmos might be awarded three points from their case against Sankoyo Bush Bucks. Satmos had protested the use of Sankoyo’s player, Morris Ruzivo, who they say was improperly registered at the time the game was played.

If Satmos are finally awarded the points it would mean a replay between Satmos and Sankoyo.


Read this week's paper