Monday, November 29, 2021

Two men charged with motor vehicle theft, office breaking and disabling to commit an offence

On Monday two men, Tshimologo Cheche Gabathuse (34) and Eric Boyce (27) appeared briefly before Francistown Chief Magistrate Gaidupe Makgatho to answer for three counts of motor vehicle theft, office breaking and theft and disabling to commit an offence. According to the particulars of the offence, the two accused persons on the 2nd of April 2015 at Nata village, acting together and in concert, tied the hands of one Segomotso Kenalemang and suffocated her with intent to commit an offence.

The duo then proceeded to break into the Department of Central Transport Organization (CTO) and stole goods worth over P8 000 being government property. They also stole a motor vehicle belonging to government worth P50 000. A plea in the matter has been reserved. The prosecutor, Sub Inspector Thulaganyo Pitso from Nata Police Station pleaded with the court for the two men to be remanded in custody as investigations are still at a preliminary stage.

“Our investigation team is still going to visit some of the crime scenes in Nata and Pandamatenga. Most of our witnesses have not yet recorded their statements and we have a fear that once granted bail, the accused persons will interfere with our witnesses and even temper with evidence. We plead with the court to at least give us 14 days so that we can wind up our investigations,” said the prosecutor.

However, the first accused, Gabothuse said that he was assaulted by the police and they have denied him a chance to go to seek medical attention. He also said that he is a low blood patient.

“I plead with this honorable court to order the police to give me a chance to get medical help,” he said.
The second accused also echoed the same sentiments that he was beaten by the police and they have refused him to access medical help.

“As I am speaking to you, I was beaten by the police and my body is in agonizing pain,” he said.

However the magistrate agreed with the prosecution and ordered that the two men be remanded in custody and their next mention will be on the 27th of April 2015. The two men are not represented.


Read this week's paper