Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Untouchable hold title chasing Prisons

A gutsy performance by Untouchable saw the team twice coming from behind to play to a 2-all draw against title chasing Prisons in the Botswana Women’s Football Super League. 

In a game played at the dusty Masa Primary School grounds on Sunday afternoon, coach Boni Mametsa’s charges, who are placed second from bottom, punched above their weight to boost their Super League survival chances, much to their coach’s delight.

“This game went well for us. Against a very good team like Prisons, a draw for us is very good. Ours is a new team and we are still developing, therefore taking a point from them is a very big achievement,” said the Untouchable coach.

While Prisons dictated the proceedings and produced most chances, Untouchable showed a lot of character as they held their own to play to a credible draw. It was evident from the first whistle that coach Mametsa’s side were backed against the wall as Prisons piled pressure on them. Notwithstanding their brave fight, Untouchable went a goal down on the 26th minute, thanks to Keletso Walebowa’s fantastic strike. Picking what was not a dangerous ball just a couple of metres from the centre line on the 26th minute, the Prisons’ striker sauntered a few yards unmarked, picked a spot and hit a long range volley past Untouchable keeper Gofaone Onthusitse. 

The setback did not deter Untouchable, and they drew level through Tshepiso Thelo’s thunderous set piece just five minutes before recess. The equalizer galvanized Prisons as they went on attack, but Untouchable keeper and captain Onthusitse did well to deny Kefilwe Lentswe on the 44th minute and ensure her side went to recess on level footing with Prisons. From recess, it took a little less than five minutes before Untouchable were pegged back again, this time through Angelinah Segole’s strike. Lady luck was however with Untouchable as they once again drew level, this time under fortuitous circumstances, thanks to Prisons goalkeeper Lesedi Moroke’s error. The goalkeeper, who had an easy Sunday afternoon, was found wanting as a meek shot from Ndasha Matshana passed between her legs and leveled scores. Prisons should have retaken the lead on the 78th minute, only for substitute Merapelo Tshekiso to miss a sitter, shooting straight at Untouchable keeper Onthusitse after receiving a well weighed pass from Lentswe. Onthusitse then did well again on the 79th minute as she saved from Nondi Mahlasela to ensure both teams shared spoils. Commenting on the game, Prisons coach Quelch Moroke said his team did not perform well to win the game. He lamented that the team’s defence was all over the place while his strikers missed a lot of chances they created. 

“We will have to go back and work hard with our strikers because we miss a lot of chances. At the back, our defence also never clicked today,” Moroke explained.


Read this week's paper