The Customary Court of Appeal president, Kgosikwena Sebele, has been interdicted from duty following the criminal charges preferred against him by the Directorate of Public Prosecution.
The court president was formally given his interdiction letter last Friday, ordering him to vacate his office until he clears his name before the court of law.
Speaking to The Sunday Standard the minister of Local Government, Margaret Nasha, said, “I can neither confirm nor deny that the customary court president has been interdicted.”
She explained that, procedurally, if an officer is charged with a criminal offense, the person is interdicted from duty until the case is complete.
“I have to look around for a person who will take over while Sebele is still under interdiction,” she said
Nasha said that the position of Customary Court of Appeal is not inherited like bogosi but that any person can be appointed as long as the candidate meets all the requirements.
She stressed that she prefers an elder person who is well knowledgeable about both the law and culture.
The station commander of Sejwe Police Station, Superintendent Sozi Mpunyane, said that the state will bring more then five witnesses who will testify against Sebele during trial.
The interdiction comes after Sebele appeared briefly before the Molepolole magistrate court recently on stock theft charges. The trial is expected to resume sometime early next year.
Sebele was appointed the customary court of appeal president last year a few months after the death of Kgosi Lenchwe II of Bakgatla.
Efforts to contact Sebele were futile at the time of going to press.