Following a month long suspension the much anticipated 5th instalment of the Hamptons Jazz Festival returns this Saturday, April 28 at Duma FM grounds. The festival, which had been scheduled for end of March, was postponed following what organisers said were harsh restriction from the Gaborone City Council .While there were rumours the headline acts Billy Ocean and Salif Keita could not make flights for the festival, the organisers maintained the city council’s time restrictions were to blame. The two parties now seem to have smoked the piece pipe as Debbie Smith of Hamptons Promoters announced recently that the show will go ahead this Saturday as planned. “Thank you Gaborone City Council for the permit,” she announced. Smith hopes this time around that the event will go on without a glitch.
“Our supporters should take it easy,” Smith told Sunday Standard earlier this year. “We have learnt from our mistakes and intend to go the extra mile to ensure there is no repeat of 2016.” She said there would also be an increased police presence to ensure smooth movement of traffic around the venue. “We have also identified a bigger parking space away from the actual venue. No cars will be parked outside. Even VIPs will park at a venue outside Duma FM Grounds and be chauffeured inside by a shuttle.”
Billy Ocean and Salif Keita have confirmed through their respective social media platforms that they would be in Gaborone for the festival following postponement. On the local front, Nnunu Ramogotsi,Thabang Garogwe, ATI , Ndingo Johwa, and Socca Moruakgomo will also perform at the event.
In addition to the Brit, Lesotho’s Bhudazza, and Mali’s Salif Keita, the show will also feature international acts in the form of South Africa’s Amanda Black, Zahara, and the duo of Nathi and Amanda Makanyi.
RB 2’s Resego Motlhokathari, Zenzele Hirchsfeld, and Losika Seboni will be the hosts.