FRANCISTOWN: Nyangabwe Referral Hospital has halted some of its services as a measure to address the world wide Corona virus threat. The hospital released a press release last week detailing its measures. In an interview with the Sunday Standard the Senior Public Relations Officer at Nyangabwe Hospital Boikobo Hengari said external referrals have been suspended until further notice.”
“All elective surgical operations have since been suspended until further notice. Only emergency surgical operations will be done. All these measures are made to try and address the Corona virus threat,” she said. The hospital which is already overwhelmed in terms of referrals, offers services to the whole north region and has a 45-bed capacity. Hengari said the measures started on Friday 27 March 2020. She pleaded with the public to comply with the measures put in place. While there are no confirmed patients who have visited the hospital to try and test for Corona virus, she said the Hospital does not test for the virus. As for visitations she said two visitors will be allowed per patient.
“Strictly only two visitors per patient will be allowed. The visitors will take turns so that only one visitor will be at a bedside at a time. Visitors will not be allowed in the hospital premises outside visiting hours,” she said. Hengari said there will also be more security personnel at the hospital entrances during visiting times to prevent loitering in the hospital. She encouraged all visitors to observe strict hygiene measures by washing their hands with soap and water availed in the hospital, and use sanitizers when entering and leaving the hospital. She said visitors who are unwell especially those with flu like symptoms will be prohibited to visit the hospital wards.
“We advise them to stay at home as precautionary measure to safeguard the health of our patients,” she said.