The Ministry of Education and Skills Development (MoE) has engaged the Directorate of Corruption and Economic Crime to root out bogus students who have been fraudulently receiving allowances.
The ministry says the re-registration exercise that they have embarked on since last year is now paying dividends as they have already identified some of the bogus students who have frequently been enjoying school allowances, adding that the culprits will be appearing before the magistrate court soon.
Speaking to Sunday Standard, the MoE’s Public Relations Officer, Nomsa Zuze, also said some of the students that they were sponsoring will be taken to court as well.
Zuze said sometime last year they introduced a new method, which monitors all the students that are sponsored by the government.
She said the re-registration exercise has identified those students who have been receiving allowances illegally, adding that the suspects are expected to appear in court soon.