Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Montshiwa murder case to start at High Court in August

A case in which attorney David Modise is accused of murder of his client  former Chief Executive Officer of Fairgrounds Holding Michael Montshiwa will be committed to the High Court on the 6th August 2018 for trial.

The case was on Monday postponed because some support staff (court reporter) at Village Magistrate Court (Magistrate Makofi’s chamber) were not available.

According to court records the investigating team which went to Zimbabwe to further their investigations arrived in Botswana with some evidence which links some of the exhibit to how the deceased was killed.

Modise was charged with murder on October 2015 after investigations revealed that he was the attorney of the deceased and also the last person to talk to him.

Chief Investigating officer, Detective Sergeant Marapo has confirmed their trip to Zimbabwe but could not be drawn on shedding light on the matter.

He confirmed that the Mutual legal Assistance between Botswana Intelligence and their Zimbabwean counter parts to verify some exhibits which would be used in court was ‘positive.’

He said the investigating team has managed to verify some exhibits which are central to some evidence which will be used in court.

According to official records, the state is expected to call more than 30 witnesses in the matter.

On their previous hearing, state Prosecutor Ernest Mosate said they are still studying some exhibits which were gathered through the Mutual Legal Assistance from Zimbabwe.

He said they are going to verify facts which will be used in court and look into possibilities of committing the matter to the High Court for trial.

Mosate revealed that their investigations have indicated that there was sufficient evidence against the accused.

According to the police investigations, David was alleged to have been the last person to communicate with Montshiwa before the CEO was shot dead at his house in Block 6, Gaborone. The accused has been on bail since his arrest in December 2015.

The accused is represented by Kgosietsile Ngakaage of Ngakaagae and company.


Read this week's paper