Friday, February 23, 2024

Mother of slain security guard comes face-to-face with accused killers

The Broadhurst magistrate was packed to capacity when the mother of Sebe Maepa, a female security guard who was ritually murdered, came face to face for the first time with the accused killers of her daughter when they appeared before court.

On Monday, two murder suspects appeared briefly before the principal magistrate Munashe Ndlovu on a single count of murder. The prosecution has revealed that the prime suspect in the murder case has not been cooperating with the police, which have made conclusions of the investigation very difficult.

However the co accused person, Chandapiwa Nfila, who is the sister to the prime suspect was granted bail. Briefing the court, prosecutor inspector Oamogetswe Gaboutlwelwe revealed that the prime suspect Olebogeng Nfila is not cooperating with the police investigators hence wants the court to issue an order that will compel the accused person to be cooperative.

She indicated to court that the investigators had already arranged to conduct a joint interview since his arrest but this has not materialised due to the prime suspect who has not been cooperative. She also cited that the accused person was supposed to be extracted blood samples which forms part of the investigations but has refused.

Gaboutlelwe told the court that as the prosecution they do not object to grant Chandapiwa bail. In his response, the accused person Nfila denied the allegations levelled against him by the prosecution.

“I never refused to be taken blood samples, even this morning I spoke with the investigating officer about my blood samples,” he said, adding that he is ready to be taken blood samples.

The prime suspect’s sister was granted bail of P1 000 and has to provide two sureties who are relatives. Apparently Chandapiwa was arrested after being found in-possession of the deceased cell phone. She claimed that her brother gave her the phone as a ”gift”. Both accused persons are scheduled to appear before court jointly on the 25th of July. The prime suspect was arrested following the gruesome murder of the deceased at Glen Valley ponds in Gaborone North.


Read this week's paper