Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Murder accused files P3 million lawsuit against government

A former prisons officer has filed a P3 million lawsuit against the government, as compensation for physical injuries and pain inflicted on him after he was assaulted by prisons officers.

Agisanyanag Motukwa, together with Ryton Mlalazi, last week filed papers against the Attorney General, the Commissioner of Prisons and four prisons officers.

Motukwa is currently out on bail, and is due to stand trial in August in connection with the murder of his father.

He, together with Daniel Sime, Gaolathe Thusang and Modise Sekai are accused of murdering Motlhanka Motukwa on August 10 2008 at Ntlhantlhe Village.

Motukwa told Sunday Standard that he was suspected of funding a botched attempt to escape from prison by prison inmates Abel Nyasha, Stephen Serilo, Tebogo Tshomane and Tiroyaone Kebaetse. He said he was later charged with malicious damage to government property and tortured by prisons officers.

“They took me to the service room, their torture chamber, where they made me undress, handcuffed me and made me lie face down on the floor. They then suffocated me with blankets and assaulted me with batons and boots,” he said.

Motukwa claims that he was later cleared of all the charges as the prisoners later exonerated him from any involvement in their attempt to escape.

Motukwa claims that the prisons officers also told him that they were punishing him for demeaning their profession by becoming a prisoner. He says he stayed for up to seven days with swollen feet and pain all over his body, and the prisons officers refused to take him to hospital. He says he was only availed medical treatment after the Directorate of Intelligence and Security boss Isaac Kgosi intervened.

“We went for up to six months without treatment, which impacted negatively on our health and resulted in irreparable damage to my backbone. Meanwhile other inmates were allowed to go to hospital,” said Motukwa in his founding affidavit.

He says the assault has severely damaged him, as he is in constant pain and sometimes has to use crutches. Motukwa also claims that he cannot find employment because he is an invalid, and he is currently undergoing regular physiotherapy treatment.

They are demanding cash payment as compensation. Motukwa is seeking P2 million while Mlalazi wants P1 million.

RELATED STORIES

Read this week's paper

The Telegraph September 30

Digital edition of The Telegraph, September 30, 2020.