Sixteen years after the death of Segametsi Mogomotsi, who was allegedly murdered for ritual purposes, the former prime suspect in the case, Mokgalo Sekobye died last week Tuesday after a long illness.
He has reportedly been unwell since 2007.
A dozen or so of mourners attended the funeral, which was held in Boseja Ward in Mochudi on Sunday.
There appeared to be not much to say about the deceased during the funeral.
The former Member of Parliament for Kgatleng East, Isaac Davids, was also part of the mourners while village elders failed to turn up to pay their last respects.
The Public Relations Officer of Botswana Police Service, Assistant Police Commissioner, Christopher Mbulawa, said, “Police investigations are still ongoing even though no suspect or suspects have been formally charged with Segametsi’s murder.”
Mbulawa said that “a murder case docket is never closed no matter how many years it takes”.
Sometime around 2009, the Botswana government paid P300 OOO to Sekobye in damages after a long court battle in which he maintained his innocence.
Some top crime investigators who requested anonymity said that “if the government paid Sekobye this means that there should be fresh investigations to find the killers”.
They said it is unfortunate that the government had not yet released the Scotland Yard report which could assist in narrowing down the starting point for new investigations.
They maintain that since murder has no statute of limitations, the killers can even today be found and brought to book.
In 1995, Segametsi’s murder case sparked riots, both in Gaborone and Mochudi, led by university of Botswana students.