Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Sithole loses three games in a row with BMC

Award winning and BMC’s caretaker coach, Mike Sithole, is not finding it easy at his new club. He lost his third match in a row over the weekend after Mochudi Center Chiefs walloped his boys 4-1 at a dramatic clash played at Molepolole Sports Complex on Saturday.

Sithole, who had successfully commanded Gaborone United to clinch the league championship last season, left the team under controversial grounds to land at The Izinkomo’s court where he was to prove his mantle, but has never won any game since.

Many were watching Saturdays encounter for many curious reasons, others wanted to see whether Izinkomo would break Magosi’s fine run while many wanted to see how Sithole would do against a team he once championed successfully to claim the Premier League two seasons ago.

Sithole said lack of experience is the main undoing for his team that is full of youngsters. The area of concern is mainly in the defense and thus makes other departments less effective.

Sithole, however, added that he is looking forward to beefing up the team in the next transfer window. On whether he doesn’t regret moving to BMC and whether he has any hope with the team, Sithole optimistically said, “I went to Gaborone United when it was bottom of the league and eventually won it. It is not that all the hope is gone, we still have the next round,” he said. While the game started with a high tempo, both teams fighting to secure an early lead, Magosi later had an upper hand over Sithole’s boys after BMC’s Ofentse Chitutu scored an own goal after trying to clear the ball from Magosi’s attack.

Mlamuli Phakathi nearly retaliated for Izinkomo five minutes later but failed to convert, rather sending the ball over the post. Chief’s Zambian import, Mweuku Musonda, who, on the day, was a force to reckon, especially with his deadly combination with Jabu Pilane, was a thorn in the flesh of Magosi defence.

Chiefs, on the other hand, were missing the services of playmaker, Dirang Moloi.

During the second half, BMC came back a bit super charged and hopes in its camp flared as they tormented Magosi’s defence, with Tshepo Maikano nearly equalizing, save for Barolong Lemmenyane’s brilliant clearance.

Maikano continued to frequent Magosi’s goal posts for the better time of the first half but lady luck betrayed him.
More drama unfolded as Chiefs tried to maintain its lead while Izinkomo fought for an equalizer. However, the referee hardened Izinkomo’s struggle after giving their forward Phakhati marching orders.

Twelve minutes into the second half, Mweuku’s aggression paid off as he emboldened Magosi’s lead by the second goal. The ten-man Izinkomo’s confidence was further doused when Oteng “OT” Moalosi sent a third brilliant goal home.

Eighteen minutes before second half, Thebe Maiketso scored the only goal for BMC and five minutes later Musonda scored the fourth goal for Magosi, closing the concert of goals.

Chiefs head coach, Wesley Mondo, was proud of his boys even though admitting that they wasted most of the chances they created. He, however, complained of the high temperatures as some of the factors that worked against them. Asked about taking the title to Kgatleng he quipped, “For now we plan for the next game not the league.”


Read this week's paper

The Telegraph September 23

Digital edition of The Telegraph, September 23, 2020.