A woman spent a week at Gaborone Private hospital after drinking what she says were pieces of glass found in her daiquiri cocktail she had ordered at Peermont Grand Palm hotel and casino resort. Speaking to the Sunday Standard┬á┬á from her hospital bed at Gaborone Private Hospital, Kgomotso Nshakazhogwe said she had spent the weekend together with her family and friends at the four star resort.
Relating the ordeal Nshakazhogwe’s friend, Tumie Mothibi, said they had decided to unwind at the pool side on Sunday (February 8) afternoon where they ordered daiquiris. “We only realised it when one of our friends, Kitso Kebakile, spat out some of the crushed glasses after taking a sip,” Mothibi said.
She said they had already ingested half their drinks when they spotted the pieces at bottom of their glasses. “We called the management and they apologised before offering us drinks on the house.”
But that was only the beginning, said Nshakazhogwe, lying on her hospital bed. “Later at night while in my room I started experiencing some abdominal pains,” she said. She called her husband and by the time he arrived she had started feeling dizzy. “The next thing I remember is waking up in the hospital.”
Another friend, Tshepo Matlapeng went to see the hotel management to alert them about what had transpired and they claimed ignorance of the same issue they had apparently apologised for in the afternoon. By Thursday Nshakazhokwe said the Grand Palm management had not bothered to contact her and check on her situation. She has since reported the matter to the police.
“All we know is she went for tests at the hospital and was dismissed the same night,” Grand Palms Chief Operations Officer, Bruce Page-Wood told Sunday Standard. “We are aware of the allegation and we are still investigating,” he said.
He said they were also aware a case had been opened with the police. “I cannot comment further on the matter.” Gaborone West Station Commander Agreement Mapeo confirmed the matter has been brought to their attention. “We are still investigating,” he said. Meanwhile, Nshakazhogwe was dismissed from the hospital on Friday, February 13.