Monday, May 16, 2022

Alleged rapist denied bail after defying court

Chief Magistrate Lorraine Makati Lesang in Francistown today denied a 41-year-old man bail, after he defied the court by violating the conditions of his bail.

Raboijane Gabobolokwe is alleged to have raped his 15-year-old step daughter at Lekobeng settlement in the Central Administrative District on November 1, 2007.

According to the summary of the facts by the prosecution, the accused man was supposed to come and appear for trial on January 10, 2009 but he did not show up.

The trial date had to be postponed to 17 February 2009 as the accused was tracked by the investigating officers. The officers searched for the accused at his place of stay in Francistown’s Blue Town location but he was never found.

Investigation officers were later alerted that he was living with relatives in Tonota but still failed to find him.

The trial date had to be postponed for the second time to 9 March, 2009 but he still did not show up.

Gabobolokwe was only arrested on 30 March 2009 after a tip off that he had escaped to one of the cattle posts near Tonota Village.

Gabobolokwe denied ever violating the conditions of his bail, indicating that the court was very aware that he had a health problem and this had hindered his appearance in court.

He pointed out that ever since he was granted bail, he had been treated like a prisoner.

Rabosotho Reneetswe, from the Directorate of Public Prosecution (DPP), said that the court should not give Gabobolokwe bail as he had been on the run all along, only to be arrested on March 30, 2009.

Reneetswe further pointed out that, despite the accused man facing health problems, it was very crucial that the court should have been informed about his illness, adding that there were relatives of his who could have done so.

“A person who is facing health problems is supposed to be taken care of by relatives. In your case, you never settled down with your relatives, as the investigation officers’ search proved that you were not with your relatives and never informed court of your inability to report for trial,” said the Magistrate.

The accused man has been remanded in custody while the state has to call more witnesses.


Read this week's paper