Law agents have uncovered another fraud scam that may have cost the Ministry of Transport and Works close to P20 million.
Information passed to The Sunday Standard reveal that government may have been defrauded of close to P 20 million, by a syndicate of criminals working with public officers.
It has emerged that the criminals connived with public officers and issued ghost government perchance orders, and with other ministry officials who would pay any amount of money that is indicated on the fraudulent GPO.
It is alleged that the discovery came after the bank seized a suspicious cheque which led to some suspects who then divulged how they defrauded government.
Some of the Department of Roads Officers have already been arrested as part of the police investigations.
Acting director Department of Roads, Jacob Sello, told Sunday Standard that his office at Maruapula was raided by police officers sometime last week.
He said the raid came after three senior officers were allegedly implicated in suspicious transactions.
“It is too early to say much about the issue because it is being handled by the police,” said Sello.
A few weeks ago, 11 suspects were nabbed after they allegedly defrauded the Ministry of Health of P17m of which only P2m was recovered.