Botswana Congress Party (BCP) councillor for Naledi North Oarabile Motlaleng is considering seeking 24/7 protection from the police. This comes after he was reportedly kidnapped, brutally assaulted and left for dead outside his house in Naledi last year.
Motlaleng who arrived in the country recently after a short exile, told the Sunday Standard that he will engage relevant stake holders and the BCP to tighten his safety. He is considering asking for protection from the police.
“That is one of the issues that I will be raising with the relevant authorities, I am a member of the BCP, I still have to engage them so that they have a role to play,” he told Sunday Standard.
Earlier this year Motlaleng skipped the country to a destination that was never made public. His lawyer, Martin Dingake confirmed Motlaleng’s departure at the time and he was quoted saying Motlaleng is still considering options as to how he can ensure his safety going forward.
Motlaleng attended his first council session on Friday since his arrival back in the country. He is still not certain about his safety. He told this publication that there will always be issues of security and his safety after the torture he suffered.
“Even now I do not feel safe because the perpetrators have not been arrested and it is cause for concern,” he said.
Although some Batswana believed that his attack was executed by agents of Directorate of Intelligence, Security Services (DIS), the DIS boss Isaac Kgosi has since distanced the security agency from the attack.