Monday, September 20, 2021

Beatenberg pulls out of Hamptons festival

The Hamptons Jazz Festival has hit a stumbling block, as South African boy band Beatenberg, best known for the hit single ‘Pluto’ (featuring DJ Clock) has just pulled out.

Promoters of The Hamptons have announced that they received a letter from Beatenberg managers announcing that the band will not be performing at the concert, despite the fact that they had already signed a contract and received 50 percent of the performance fee.

The band was scheduled to perform at the third instalment of the festival alongside other local and international artists at Gaborone Club in February, 2016.

“This letter serves as a cancellation of Beatenberg’s performance in Gaborone on February, 2016,” a letter from the band’s management company, Black Major Artist Management said.

The letter further explained that Beatenberg had to reschedule studio time for recording their new album to a date on which the producer and studio will be available. 

“We have tried our best to have the studio time rescheduled so that there are no clashes but to no avail,” read the letter.

Black Major Artist Management further said the band would love to perform in Gaborone on a later date “or alternatively the same date in 2017.” Speaking to Lifestyle on Friday Derby Smith (The Hamptons Promoters) said they were very disappointed with the news and fell short of calling it a breach of contract. 

“It is very disappointing that Beatenberg have now decided not to honour their contract with us,” she said. 

Smith said they will be asking to be refunded the 50 percent deposit they had already paid; adding that they are already looking for a local or international artist to replace Beatenberg.

 

In another letter addressed to the promoters, the agent who brokered the deal, Jessica Schnehage said she failed to convince the band to honour their contract.

“I can assure you that Beatenberg and their management are fully aware that they have signed a contract, and that marketing has been initiated and a deposit paid. Please understand that I have done everything in my power to resolve this situation but ultimately the decision does not lie with me and is out of my hands,” Schnehage said. 

The agent offered to assist The Hamptons Promoters in securing a replacement if possible. 

“I have checked and Desmond & the Tutus are still available. I could also explore the possibility of the Parlotones,” she said.

But Smith insisted they have lost all confidence in the agent and will not be asking for any assistance from her. 

She also said it was disappointing that Beatenberg only revealed that they were cancelling the contract when they were scheduled for an interview with a local radio station.

“I wonder if they would have told us had we not requested for the interview,” Smith told Lifestyle. “We apologise to everyone who had hoped to see the band perform. The matter is out of our control.”

It is not the first time for The Hamptons Promoters to be engaged in contractual battles. In 2013 they were involved in a legal tussle with another South African group, Freshlyground which also dropped out at the eleventh hour, only to honour the contract with a solo performance at a later stage. The third instalment of The Hamptons Jazz Festival is set to take place on 27th February 2016 at Gaborone Club. It will feature among others Letta Mbulu (SA), Vusi Mahlasela (SA), Oliver Mutukudzi (Zimbabwe), The Soil (SA), Sereetsi and the Natives, Sharon Sibonge, Women of Jazz, Trinity Mpho and Nono Siile.

RELATED STORIES

Read this week's paper