Monday, December 4, 2023

Businessman hacked to death over cell phone

Gaborone Central Police Station is investigating a case in which an elderly businessman was hacked to death over his cellular phone at the weekend.

Police have not yet made any arrests following the deceased’s death.

According to Police, residents of Marupula were on Sunday morning shocked after the elderly man was murdered by unknown criminals who robbed him of his cell phone. They are believed to be part of a gang that has been terrorizing Maruapula shopping complex at night.

Reports suggests that the deceased who runs several bars was on the early hours of Sunday morning attacked by a group that allegedly  hacked off one of his hand and stabbed  him to death after he refused to hand over his cell phone to them.

It is reported that the deceased was sitting inside his car when a group of men approached his car that was parked near a night club in Maruapula.

The deceased is suspected to have resisted and refused to hand over his cell phone and a scuffle broke out.

After being overpowered by the gang, one of his hand was hacked and stabbed several times and the assailants vanished into thin air.

The deceased reportedly disembarked from his vehicle and crawled to the nearby filling station where he finally succumbed to his wounds.     

According to one eye witness who preferred to remain anonymous the gang  of young boys literally rules Maruapula through terror.

She claimed that she saw a group of boys running in different directions and later heard a shout from someone asking for help.

She said after a few seconds, they saw a man bleeding coming toward their direction and they decided to flee because they were also confused and scared.

Gaborone Central Police Station commander Vincent Pitseitsile confirmed the incident to The Telegraph.

“It is true my station is investigating a case in which an elderly man was murdered on Sunday morning.”

He said the case is still very fresh and investigations have just commenced.

“Therefore I have nothing much to comment about until the investigation are complete.”

The deceased is aged 53 years.


Read this week's paper