Sunday, August 7, 2022

Centre Chiefs solidify their lead

For about 25 years of their history, Mochudi Centre Chiefs have never won the league championship. They tried for many years but to no avail. It was even painful last year when they started well only to falter in the latter stages and Ecco City Green ended up eclipsing them to the first position. Centre Chiefs are still not deterred and want to win the league at all costs this season. They have started well and if nothing happens on their way, they are surely on course to make their own history. They solidified their position at the top of the league by thrashing once mighty giants, Gaborone United (GU) 4-0. The score line was the first heaviest for Moyagolelele, as GU is fondly known, this season. The victory means Centre Chiefs have 24 points and GU still have 18 points. No matter what happens over the weekend no team can topple Chiefs.

GU on the other hand should have themselves to blame after squandering too many chances. People could not believe that Centre Chiefs were leading GU because the latter enjoyed more possession and attacked time and again. The scoring boots of GU’s deadly striker, Sageby Sandaka, appear to have been taken by their former coach, Luke Masomere. Ever since Masomere left, Sandaka is yet to produce the spark he came with at GU. He was one of the main culprits together with his striking partner, Kenny Ledikwe.

Centre Chiefs on the other hand made use of their opportunities and punished GU heavily. Their win also proved that their massive signing of the strikers in the last transfer window is paying dividends. They are the team that has scored most goals. They have netted 22 goals. Oteng Moalosi broke the deadlock five minutes before half time. The goal was a bit controversial because it appeared GU defenders cleared it off the line but the referee said it had already crossed. Three minutes into the second half, Pontsho Moloi increased Centre Chiefs tally to two after capitalising on a rebound from GU defence. One wondered why GU started their star defender, Basarutweng ‘Booster’ Magola, on the bench. It was, however, unfortunate for him because by the time he came on, Chiefs registered the third goal from Jerome Ramatlhakwane. He out ran the lethargic GU central defence before unleashing a thunderbolt that did not give Kgosietsile Senjoba a chance. Chiefs became too effective after GU substituted Tshepo Molefhe. Molefhe had a good combination with Zimbabwean International, Itayi Gwandu. Gwandu was doing the dirty work for Molefe who spread defence splitting passes. Gwandu was then found wanting because he had nobody to share balls with. The last nail into GU coffin came 10 min before fulltime from Othusitse ‘Jabu’ Pilane.

He capitalised on a cross which GU defenders failed to clear. Under 23 international, Kekaetswe ‘Mara’ Moloi, nearly made it five but the goalpost came to GU’s rescue with Senjoba well beaten. Moloi seems to be mastering hitting the goalposts because he once did it when the Under 23 badly needed a victory against Cameroon. He has the ability to sneak into the blind spots. The victory by Centre Chiefs means that of the ten games they played, they are yet to lose a game. The only unfortunate thing for Centre Chiefs was that their Zambian defender, James Kachinga, was given his marching orders a few minutes before full time for rough play.


Read this week's paper