Friday, December 1, 2023

Centre Chiefs wallop Santos

Mochudi Centre Chiefs continues to fight for honours this season following a victory over Uniao Flamengo Santos on Friday at University of Botswana Stadium.

Santos, who of late have been on fire, were just a shadow of themselves as they allowed Chiefs to penetrate in almost all departments.

Nevertheless, the affair was exhilarating, especially in the first twenty minutes that produced two goals.

Zambian international, Musonda Mweuka, opened the score board for Chiefs before sensational Mogakolodi “Tsotso” Ngele equalised for his team.

Chiefs came strongly into the match, with Dirang Moloi creating too much damage on Santos. He was operating on both the left and right flanks.
Seventeen minutes before half time, Moloi made a beautiful run from the centre of the pitch and placed a neat pass that Lebogang Lebogang slotted in with ease.

From there it was a one sided affair and Chiefs hit the cross bar on about three occasions with Santos goalie, Ola Tsae, at his mercy.

One wonders why Santos did not deploy someone to guard Moloi during the whole match because he was unmarked on most occasions.

Upon realising that Ngele was causing problems, Chiefs assigned hard tackling Michael Mohaladi to man-mark him, and the latter did his job with perfection and that, in turn, allowed Chiefs to launch attacks with ease. After half time, Chiefs scored their third in the 68th minute through Sekhana Koko.

After the goal, Chiefs looked like they were going to score an avalanche of goals, but it was not to be as their gooalkeeper, Mompoloki Sephekolo, was sent off for a rough tackle that resulted in a penalty.

Ngele did not waste time as he scored his second goal of the match. Santos tried to come back but it was not to be as referee blew the final whistle. Chiefs have now won two of their four matches and drew two.

By far, it is a great achievement by the team and they may be on the way to challenge for honours.


Read this week's paper