Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Five CID officers charged with torture

Botswana police have completed its investigations in which some of its investigators will be brought before the court of law.

The Directorate of Public Prosecution has decided to drag police officers, three males and 2 females, to court for torture and they have already been given they charge sheets.

At least five detectives from the Serious Crime Squad under the Fraud Unit will this week on Wednesday appear before the Extension 2 magistrate.

Speaking to Sunday Standard superintendent Dipheko Motube of Botswana Police Public Relations Department said sometime this year, some of the serious crime squad officers were allegedly involved in torture.

He said, “What I am aware of is that the case is before the DPP who will then decide whether they prosecute or not.”

He said he was unable to comment further about the case because it is already before the DPP.

Allegations are that the detectives arrested a female fraudster who has long been hiding and during the interrogations, they tortured the suspect who was then not taken to the hospital for the wounds she suffered.

It is alleged that after the torture, the suspect was locked up behinds bars where she spent a night at the Central Police Station in Gaborone.

It is further alleged that in the morning, the suspect complained to other police officers who noticed that the suspect had fresh wounds and advised her to go and report the matter at the police head office.

It is alleged that the matter was fully investigated and further action was recommended.

Meanwhile, a suspected robber is fighting for his life after 4 suspected robbers attacked one of the security agents in Block 7.

It is alleged that the security agent was attacked in the early hours of the morning while on their way to the bus stop with his spouse.

It is alleged that 4 suspected robbers attacked them and the security agent pulled out his service rifle and shot one of the robbers who now lies fighting for his life at Princess Marina Hospital in Gaborone.

Already three of the suspects have been arrested and are expected to appear before court soon while the security agent was asked to write a police statement pending investigation.


Read this week's paper