It was “by invitation only” and the women present to spend time, up close and personal, with actress Connie Ferguson were given advice by one who has made it big.
Sunday Standard hereby shares with our readers some of the advice given to the BCL women; it can be applied to women across different borders in life.
I chose the pieces given by Ferguson and Gaone Macholo, a divisional manager for BCL.
Connie’s 5 Cs to success
She swears that she only made it to where she is today by following the advise she so gracefully gave to BCL workers.
Conviction: Ferguson says, as an individual, you need to believe that whatever you choose to pursue, be it acting, mining or engineering, you can do it.
Courage: Now, that you have convinced yourself that you can do it, you need to psych yourself up and believe that you can do whatever you set your heart to.
Confidence: Having conviction and courage will eventually build you up and help you know that you can do what you want to do. As they say, knowledge is power!
Competence: This is the critical stage where you have to improve your skills so that you have the know-how, making sure you have the necessary requirements to do what you have to do.
Commitment (she calls it Constance): Lastly, but most importantly, she urges you to decide what you want to do and stick to it!
Macholo’s Tips for success
– for one to be successful as a woman, you need to be pregnant with vision!
– Be humble, disregard age, class or social status
– Understand that problems are for everyone, view them as challenges
– feed your mind with positive things that will make you grow
– Take care of yourself mentally, physically, and spiritually
– do whatever you have to do to make yourself feel good, stay pretty!