Saturday, November 26, 2022

Kgosi Lotlaamoreng denies being ‘drunken driver’ in gov’t shame list

Barolong Kgosikgolo Lotlaamoreng II has rubbished claims that he could be “Montshiwa Lotlaamoreng” who appeared last week Friday in a government report that names and shames drunken driving motorists ahead of the festive season.

The Barolong tribal leader slammed suggestions that he might have been caught on the wrong side of law after imbibing liquor, saying he does not consume alcohol.

Lotlaamoreng who described himself as staunch church goer expressed shock when contacted to confirm or deny whether he was “Montshiwa Lotlaamoreng” whose name was published in the list that appeared in the Daily News newspaper together with other convicted drunken drivers.

Lotlaamoreng also responded to further questions on whether he takes alcohol and whether he was once slapped with a drunken driving charge saying the church would be shocked to hear that he appeared on the list because he does not take alcohol.
“What I know is that there is another person in Ghanzi who is a claimant to that name,” said Lotlaamoreng when pressed for further details. Some members of the public last week suggested that “Montshiwa Lotlaamoreng” could be the current Barolong tribal leader saying those were his names before he was installed as paramount chief.

The list has also received criticism from members of the public who believe that it is flawed since a name can have more than one claimant. Another name that appeared on the list that stirred debate is that of Michael Sata, who is the President of Zambia.
The list of offenders entitled “drivers convicted for drunken driving from month of July to November” was sponsored by the Ministry of Defence Justice and Security.┬á Hundreds of the offenders’ were listed under the months in which they were alleged to have been convicted.

While she did not want to be drawn into details, the Ministry of Defence Justice and Security Principal Public Relations Officer Samma Tabudi said they had not received formal complaints related to claimants whose names were published on last week’s Daily News newspaper.

In a previous interview, Tabudi said the campaign is part of the government’s effort to cut the number of people who pose a risk to others by getting behind the wheel when intoxicated. She insisted that the move was not to name and shame motorists but to curb lawlessness and reduce the number of traffic accidents related to drink and driving.

RELATED STORIES

Read this week's paper