Sunday, June 16, 2024

Mission accomplished as Chiefs draw with Satmos to clinch league title

For Mochudi Centre Chiefs gaffer Mike Sithole, board room decisions and pending disciplinary hearings are none issues. After watching his team gain a much needed point to win the league against relegation bound FC Satmos, the Zimbabwean gaffer has now wrapped up his league campaign.

“There are no mathematical issues here, the league is wrapped up. Games are won in the field, they are not won in the board room,” said a triumphant Sithole in a post match interview. As would have been expected, the game that won Magosi the league title was by no means a classic.

Against a relegation fighting FC Satmos, whose performance was characterized by grit and steel in defence, Chiefs never made any significant threats at goal, despite controlling much of the encounter. In fact, it was FC Satmos who had more bodies behind the ball and threatened to catch Chiefs on the counter. FC Satmos nearly stole all three points midway through the second half when an attempted head clearance from a corner by substitute Onalethata Tshekiso bounced off the upright, with Mompoloki Sephekolo well beaten. Aside from this odd chance, there were no clear cut scoring chances for either of the two teams.

For FC Satmos, such a chance came midway through the first half when a route one clearance from the Satmos defence slipped striker Sadiki Takunda past Chiefs’ central defence. However, sandwiched between two Magosi centre backs, the Zimbabwean marksman, who cut a lonely figure upfront for FC Satmos panicked and shot tamely into the hands of Sephekolo. A few minutes later, another half chance came for Chiefs but their captain Pontsho Moloi also shot straight into the hands of Satmos goalkeeper Ezekiel Morake. This meant the two teams went to recess with no goals on board. From recess, it was Chiefs who had a chance early on but Tendai Nyumasi ballooned his effort over the bar. From then, it was more of the same in the second stanza as FC Satmos’ sat back and sought to catch Chiefs on the counter. Satmos’ next chance fell to Lesego Moiphemedi, but the player ballooned his effort over the bar.

The player was then later on given marching orders for an off the ball incident, but FC Satmos held on to keep their survival chances alive. In his post match comments, Chiefs’ coach commented FC Satmos for a game plan well executed. “These guys came up with a good game plan. I give them credit, they played a good game. They came to sit and wait for us and catch us on the counter attack.

They didn’t want to open up, it was not an open game,” the Chiefs gaffer said. With the league now all but wrapped up, Sithole said he will now seek to give young players a chance to get some game time. For his part, FC Satmos mentor, Kenneth Mogae said the draw was not a point gained but rather two points lost for his team.

We had budgeted for three points not a point. We just missed by a whisker to get all three points. We had a chance that we should have scored but that was not to be,” Mogae said. The FC Satmos gaffer however said he was happy with the gritty display from his players. With two games to play to survive the dreaded drop, Mogae said they will be taking each game as it comes, adding that they will plan for the games as they come.


Read this week's paper