Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Molefe torments Motlakase as Chiefs romp to victory

A Senatla Molefe inspired Mochudi Centre Chiefs blitzed past Motlakase Power Dynamos to show early intent on defending their league championship. A week after putting five goals past a hapless BR Highlanders in their first game of the season, Chiefs continued where they left off, putting three past Motlakase during the two teams’ encounter at the National Stadium on Sunday. 


After a lackluster first half that ended goalless, Chiefs blitzed Motlakase within the first two minutes from recess, thanks to Molefe’s exquisite goal and assist. The goals came as a relief for the defending champions who had been frustrated by the Motlakase rearguard led by goalkeeper Siamisang Kgosipula. While the Motlakase full backs had managed to restrict Centre Chiefs dangerous wing play of captain Pontsho Moloi on the right and Molefe on the other side from feeding Tendai Nyumasi and Keketswe Mara Moloi, Kgosipula was a picture of confidence in between the sticks, gobbling up any ball that went past the defence. This was even more evident in the 14th minute as he dived to cut off Kaelo Kgaswane’s dangerous cross into the box before saving Nyumasi’s goal bound shot a few minutes later.


Motlakase had their own clear chance at goal in the 21st minute when Umar Ngobi went one on one with Mompoloki Sephekolo, only for the marksman’s indecisiveness in front of goal to allow Sephekolo to collect at his feet. Four minutes later, Motlakase suffered a scare as Kgosipula was injured while trying to stop a Pontsho Moloi set piece. On the other end, Sephekolo was then called on to save Thato Kebue’s thunderous set piece on the 38th minute while Kgosipula had to be alert to deny Kgaswane in the referee’s added time to ensure both teams went to recess goalless.  Immediately from recess, it was Chiefs who were quick off the blocks, scoring two goals within the first two minutes of the restart. The first of such came when Molefe turned Phinnius Kgotlaang inside out and left him for dead before squeezing a shot between Kgosipula and the upright to give Chiefs a lead. A minute later, the diminutive winger was at it again, leaving Kgotlaang on his backside before feeding in Nyumasi to nod in Chiefs’ second goal of the game. 


Unlike in the first half, Molefe was now very lively, causing incessant problems for Kgotlaang before the latter was substituted for Buyane Kgomotso to end his torrid afternoon. Centre Chiefs would however go on to score their third goal of the match on the 69th minute as Mara Moloi connected with a well taken Othusitse Pilane cross and extend ‘Magosi’s goal tally. The goal was enough to see Chiefs claim their 100 percent winning start and clean sheet. Commenting on his team’s performance, Motlakase Head Coach, Agang Mogotsi said a lapse in concentration at the start of the second half was to blame for the loss. He said as part of their game plan, they knew Chiefs was dangerous in the wings and had planned to close them, something which worked in the first half. He however said a lapse in concentration in the opening minutes of the second half and failure to stick to the plan left them exposed as the Chiefs wingers ran rampant and put his team to the sword.  


For his part, Chiefs mentor, Mike Sithole, expressed happiness at his team’s blistering start to the season. He said while they had struggled in the first half because Motlakase had played defensive football, they always knew Motlakase would tire somewhere along the way and he was happy his front men took them apart when it mattered.  The win perched Chiefs at the top of the log standings and are now the only team not to have conceded a goal in the league.


Read this week's paper