Scores of Mankgodi orphans have been left homeless after a catholic priest allegedly embezzled more than P 1 million meant for the village orphanage. The priest who is known to this publication is currently at the centre of a police investigation and the church has submitted statements that will form part of the case.
The Catholic Church in Gaborone diocese is understood to be distancing itself from the police investigations into the missing funds which resulted in the collapse of the Mankgodi orphanage. Reports passed to the Sunday Standard indicate that the priest embezzled funds from two American couples who funded the running of the orphanage.
The two couples came to Botswana recently to visit the orphanage and were shocked to find that the orphanage had long closed down and the alleged culprit had resigned from the priesthood.
The couple then reported the matter to the police. The police are expected to file an application with the courts for the seizure of a double storey building in one of the Kgatleng areas believed to have been built from the embezzled money. Detective superintendent Violet Sebape of Serious Crimes Squad said her office is investigating a case in which a catholic priest age 41 allegedly embezzled more than P 1 million from the Mankgodi orphanage.
She said so far they have not been able to recover even a Thebe of the stolen funds and “we strongly believe that the suspect might have either bought or constructed a house in one of the villages adjacent to capital city”. Sebape said once the investigations are complete the suspect may be charged either with fraud or obtaining by false pretences.