Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Revenue from Goods traffic decreases in First Quarter

According to the summary of the Transport and Infrastructure Statistics for Quarter 1 of 2016 which have been released by Statistics Botswana, the revenue from Goods traffic decreased in the first quarter.

“Despite the increase in goods transported this quarter as compared to Q4 2015, revenue realised in this quarter went down. A total revenue of P76, 463 million was generated during Q1, 2016 registering a decrease of 26.5 percent when compared to the P104,004 million generated in Q4, 2015,” read the report.

According to the report, revenue generated during this quarter decreased from month to month. “The month of January contributed 35.7 percent to the total revenue, while February and March contributed 33.7 and 30.6 percent respectively”.

Botswana recorded total imports of 26, 548 in the first quarter of 2016, registering a decrease from 29,155 which was recorded in 2015.

During the quarter under review, the Kazungula Pontoon “carried 21,056 vehicles across the Zambezi River; 57.1 percent of these vehicles were transported into the country while the remaining 42.9 percent were leaving the country”.

In comparison to the 22,042 vehicles transported during the last quarter, the number of vehicles decreased by 4.5 percent. The total number of vehicles which were transported during the month of January was the highest for this quarter, accounting for 40.6 percent of the total vehicles. The months of February and March accounted for 32.9 and 26.5 percent respectively of the vehicles which crossed the Zambezi River. 

RELATED STORIES

Read this week's paper

Covid 19: Botswana now records 120 cases a day

Botswana’s COVID-19 daily infection rate stands at 120 cases according to the latest update by the Task Force. The country recorded 367...