Friday, July 19, 2024

Robbery suspects insist police killed one of them

Two armed robbery suspects  who appeared before magistrate Cele Lebakeng last Friday insisted that police officers at Kutlwano Police Station in Francistown allegedly killed their accomplice by suffocating him to death.

Thulani Ndemeni and Tshepo Bhebhe accused the police of torturing to death their co-accused, 37 year old taxi driver, Boitshepo Kenyaditswe popularly known as Bisto.

The two accused also claimed that their late counterpart was the one who had engaged in theft saying that a complainant identified him during a parade while they were in police custody.

Bhebhe claimed that they were tortured by police by being suffocated individually in holding cells at Kutlwano Police Station.

“Your worship the following day I was taken to Tati Town police station and I was told by another suspect that the police have killed Kenyaditswe,” he said.

Police Spokesperson, Assistant Commissioner Dipheko Motube was recently quoted as saying that Kenyaditswe was not feeling well during interrogation and was rushed to Nyangabgwe referral hospital where he was confirmed dead upon arrival. He also disclosed that Kenyaditswe was being questioned for multiple armed robbery cases including robberies involving bombing Automated Teller Machines (ATMs).

Testifying  on behalf of the state, Investigating Officer, Bongwe Amogelang said Ndemeni and Bhebhe were facing two counts of robbery and entering Botswana through ungazetted points. Amogelang said the offence occurred on the 3rd of March 2018 at Block 1 location in Francistown. The trio at the time are alleged to have stolen a black bag containing various clothing items, a cell phone and other valuables and also used violence against the complainant. Amogelang said the two suspects were arrested pertaining that matter and that investigations were still on-going.

“Upon arresting the two accused persons it was discovered that they do not have any residence permits and gainful employment in Botswana. They are in Botswana illegally. We are still investigating whether the names they gave us are their true names because they are Zimbabweans. Also we are still searching for other suspects who were involved in the robberies and are on the run. We are also still searching for the stolen property as we have not yet recovered it,” he said.

Amogelang added that “It is for those above mentioned reasons that if they are granted bail they might flee to Zimbabwe.”

Amogelang further said the late Kenyaditswe cannot be held accountable for the robberies as he is dead.

He said this after the two accused suspects insisted that the robberies were in fact committed by their partner in crime Kenyaditswe and that their only crime was entering Botswana unlawfully. The two were denied bail.


Read this week's paper