Thursday, July 18, 2024

Sasa Klaas phone history wiped

Call history records from the late Sarona ‘Sasa Klaas’ Motlhagodi’s mobile phone were wiped off before the gadget was handed back to the family, Sunday Standard has learnt.

The call records for the two days leading up to the crash were reportedly wiped off the phone. “You cannot tell me a famous local celebrity like Sasa Klaas can receive a single phone call for a whole 24 hour day,” a source close to the family told this publication.

Information on who communicated with the late rapper on the fateful night of Friday, March 5, 2020 could be crucial to the ongoing investigations.

Sunday Standard investigations also established Motlhagodi’s call history was also erased from the system at the mobile network company hosting her mobile account.

If the available remaining information on her call records in the company system is anything to go buy, her number hardly even existed. This has raised eye brows as to who would go to such an extent to conceal the information, and the motivation behind such efforts.

The web of secrecy surrounding events leading up to the crash and following the accident has left the general public with more questions than answers. The only available official record of activities surrounding the crash remains that of the mysterious pilot whose identity the authorities at the Ministry of Transport and Communications have refused to reveal. Only the family of the late musician have alluded to a certain Leonard Matenje as the pilot. “The scanty information that we received was she had flown to the CKGR with a certain Leonard Matenje using a helicopter and that the helicopter crashed,” the late Motlhagodi’s uncle told the media a few days following the crash. The number of occupants aboard the aircraft at the time of the accident remains a subject of speculation as there was no flight plan filed by the pilot before take-off.

The responsible aviation authority, Civil Aviation Authority Botswana (CAAB), were given conflicting statements about the number of passengers aboard the helicopter. The initial report indicating four passengers changed 24 hours later to two passengers.

CAAB and the Air Traffic Control were completely oblivious to the flight until after the accident. The transponder in the helicopter, Sunday Standard learnt, was also switched off meaning the aircraft was not detectable by the authorities.

A recent statement by the Ministry’s Directorate of Accident Investigations also indicated investigators were almost entirely at the mercy of the “pilot” in relation to the number of passengers, and activities before and after the crash.

“According to reports, on the day of occurrence, the Pilot-In-Command (PIC) who had taken-off from the Matsieng Airstrip in Rasesa experienced some problems after entering Xumabee Game Ranch in the Western Sandveld. The PIC in his report stated that on board the helicopter there were two (2) occupants (i.e. himself and the passenger). The PIC’s report indicated that he took-off a few minutes after 1800hrs from Matsieng Airstrip and that the flight to the Ranch is 45 minutes on average.

The Pilot Operating Handbook (POH) states that the recommended maximum cruise speed for the R44 is 110 knots, which is approximately 204 km/h,” the statement said. “It was reported that the passenger had sustained serious injuries and was rushed to Sojwe for medical attention. The PIC had also sustained some minor injuries,” the statement continued with the single eye witness account of the events.


Read this week's paper