Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Sekwababe denies having appointment with Motswaledi

Former Shell Country Chairman and immediate past HATAB Chairman, Boitumelo Sekwababe, says he did not have an appointment with the late Umbrella for Democratic Change (UDC) Secretary General, Gomolemo Motswaledi, in South Africa 11 days ago before Motswaledi’s untimely passing.

 Sekwababe who is currently based in Johannesburg, South Africa, on Friday told Sunday Standard that he and the late Motswaledi had not spoken in months, adding that he was not even aware of his trip to South Africa.

┬á“I was not aware of his trip to Johannesburg. I was just as surprised as everybody else to learn of the allegations that he had come here to see me,” said Sekwababe.

He was reacting to media speculation that he held a meeting with the late Motswaledi.

“Gomolemo and I have been friends for more than five years now, but had not seen each other since my move to South Africa in January 2011,” said Sekwababe.

Asked if he is actively involved in politics, either in Botswana or South Africa, Sekwababe emphasized that he has never been. He added that he had no business interests with the late UDC Secretary General.

On the question of his personal mobile phones being off for sometime last week, Sekwababe stated that he lost his mobile phone on Saturday 26th July and was on a temporary number while waiting for his insurance claim to be processed.

┬á“I went back to my number on Wednesday 6th August. It’s understandable that anyone trying to reach me on my usual number in the intervening time would not have gotten hold of me,” he said.

Sekwababe also explained that on Wednesday 6th┬áAugust after reconnecting his number and getting back on social media networks, he discovered two messages “that the now deceased had sent me on 28th and 29th July”.
The texts from Motswaledi asked Sekwababe if he was in Johannesburg.

┬á“Because I never responded to those two messages, I don’t believe that he would have been coming here to see me,” said Sekwababe.

The UDC has called for an independent enquiry into the death of its Secretary General who died on the morning of Wednesday 30th July.


Read this week's paper