Shakawe Secondary School is scheduled to reopen next month on 8 January, 2013 following its closure last year after officers of the Ministry of Science, Infrastructure and Technology had found that it had some structural defects.
The date of opening of the school was confirmed by the Public Relations of the Ministry of Education and Skills Development Silas Sehularo who also confirmed that the school was handed to them on Thursday.
“We are happy that the school reopening will allow its current form four students who were relocated to Maun Secondary School after its closure to return to their school easing pressure on Maun secondary School which is still recovering from shock of having its classes burnt,” he said.
After the closure of school because of construction defects some Chinese nationals who were involved in the construction of the school were arrested on allegations that they had tried to pay the director of Department of Public Service Management Carter Morupisi P250, 000 as a bribe in connection to the buildings of the school.
One of the accused persons China Civil Engineering Corporation Manager Xiaming Wang skipped the country and subsequent to that charges were withdrawn against the other two.
Asked if they are now not fearing for the students safety as they were saying they did before sending the form fours back home a month and half back Sehularo said that when this year’s form fours are admitted back in January next year, they will be manageable as they will be fewer.
Fewer students, he said will translate into lesser risks.
On what will be done to make sure that the form fours who were sent home more than a month ago catche up with their school work, Sehularo said that measures like keeping students longer in school over holidays are among those they are thinking about.