Sunday, June 16, 2024

Suspect shoots himself dead in full view of police

Brutas Mokgalo, a feared criminal who was implicated in a P2 million armed robbery last year near Kumakwane Village, shot himself in full view of the South African police after allegedly gunning down his girlfriend.

The woman had been reported as missing person by her relatives before she met her death.

Information reaching Sunday Standard suggests that Mokgalo, of Morwa Village in Kgatleng District, who is allegedly linked to several armed robberies while on bail, shot dead Boitumelo Magetse of Tlokweng a few days ago.

It is understood that the two had some serious arguments before both got into a car and drove to South Africa through an ungazetted point.

The day before he shot himself, Mokgalo was expected to appear before the Molepolole Magistrate court to answer charges of robbing P2m from a security company that was transporting money to Gantsi.

Detective Assistant Superintendent Kenosi Tsanang of Tlokweng police station told Sunday Standard that both Botswana and South African police are investigating a case in which two Botswana nationals were found dead in South Africa recently.

He said initially relatives had reported a certain Tlokweng woman as missing.

He stated that the missing woman was later found dead in South Africa, together with Mokgala, believed to be his boyfriend.

“I am not at liberty to speculate what could have triggered the shooting but investigations are underway,” said Tsanang.

A press statement from the North West Police in South Africa states that the police in Nietverdien near Zeerust were investigating a case of murder and an inquest docket had been opened after a Botswana couple was found dead.

Mokgalo was 41 while his alleged victim, Boitumelo Magetse, was 35 and both met their deaths inside Mokgalo’s car parked on a gravel road between Nietverdien and Driefontein at about 02:30am on 24 June 2013.

According to information received, the police were on patrol when they saw a Botswana registered car parked along the gravel road.

The statement stated that the police stopped and walked towards the stationary car to ask the driver if he needed assistance but the driver took out a firearm and shot himself in the head.

The woman was found lying dead on the car seat with a bullet wound on the right side on her head.
Both the deceased were buried over the weekend in their respective villages.


Read this week's paper