All the four convicts in the Daisy Loo saga on Tuesday┬ábreathed a sigh of relief after they were given┬á suspended┬á sentences by Southern Regional Magistrate ┬áBarnabas Nyamazabo.
Passing sentence, Nyamadzabo said that he had taken into consideration each convict’s┬á personal situation, such as their responsibility for their families, the fact that they have for a long time been on┬áinterdiction as well as receiving half salaries though they are bread winners for their┬á families. He said he also took into consideration the┬á huge legal bills they had paid their lawyers.
The magistrate also said that he had taken into consideration the fact that┬á they had not┬á benefited from┬á the crime they had been convicted of and that, in the case of┬á Managing Director of Daisy Loo Moemedi Dijeng, who┬á he also┬á convicted┬á together with his company, they had lost┬á P8 million, the sum of money used to clear┬ábushes along the Segoditshane River bed, which┬á the Gaborone City Council said was never part of the tender that┬á the company won.
Nyamadzabo said that the fact that the convicts┬ádid not benefit from the crime should act as a mitigation for them all . The other mitigatory factor, he said, is that┬á both of the convicts were first offenders.
┬áHe then sentenced Frank Molaletsi,┬á who was convicted of giving false information to a government official, to 18 months, wholly suspended for three years on conditions that he does not commit a similar crime.
Gilbert Sithole┬á was sentenced to 2 years imprisonment for┬á conspiracy┬á to┬á steal and 18 months for giving false information to a government official, which were again fully suspended for three years on condition that he does not commit a similar crime in three years.
Frank Stegling was also sentenced to 18 months, wholly suspended on condition that he does not commit a similar crime in three years ┬áwhilst┬á Daisy Loo, the company, was fined a total of P4000 for conspiracy to steal and giving false information to a government employee and Dijeng to 18 months for┬á giving false information, which was also suspended for three years on condition he does not commit a similar crime in three ┬áyears. Gaborone┬á attorney, Duma Boko, speaking on behalf of all the convicts, said that they are appealing.