Jwaneng Comets were favourites to claim a place in the elite league ahead of their promotional play-off clash against FC Satmos a fortnight ago but their dreams, once again, hit a snag as they lost on the away goal’s rule.
After drawing 1-1 at home to Satmos on June 15, both sides drew 0-0 seven days later in Selebi-Phikwe, which gave Satmos a ticket to big-time football next season. It was the same old story which happened in the past three seasons for Comets, so close yet so far!
The loss to Satmos means that the people of Jwaneng will have to wait for another season to welcome big time football to the diamond-mining town. A week after their heartbreak, Comets’ chairman, Njabulo Gilika, pointed out that they have accepted the turn of events and they are focusing on the future. He said that their ambition is to give it a go again in the coming season and hopefully they will make it.
“It was painful for us but we can’t cry over spilled milk. We need to focus on the future and see where we got it wrong in the past season. When we went to Phikwe, we knew that our failure to score goals will put us at a disadvantage considering that they (Satmos) scored an away goal,” he pointed out.
Gilika added that they have had a meeting with their players and they have accepted the situation and want to move on.
“The players are positive and I have no doubt that they will bounce back. We lost on a technicality and its part of the game. All we need to do is to ensure that we keep the squad together,” he said.
The Comets boss is aware that next season is going to be tougher considering that Mogoditshane Fighters, Prisons XI and Security Systems, who were not part of the league last season, have now joined the fray. Other sides which are likely to push for promotion next season include Letlapeng, Killer Giants, Modipane United and Masitaoka. “We need to double our efforts from the players, management and supporters. We need to understand that every game will be important if we entertain the idea of gaining promotion at the end of next season,” he said.
After losing Zambian gaffer Mike Sithole to Premier League giants Township Rollers at a crucial stage last season, Gilika said that they are working around the clock to bring an experienced coach before the start of the next campaign.
“We’ve already contacted some individuals and it is promising. At this present moment it will be unfair to reveal the names of people we’ve been in contact with,” he said. Zimbabwean Godfrey Tamirepi and Zambian Wesley Mondo are the two men who are already linked to the job. Tamirepi came to the rescue in February when Sithole dumped the diamond-mining side while Mondo is reported to have been in the country last month to hold talks with the club.