Saturday, July 2, 2022

Molepolole magistrate grants Trojan robbery suspects bail

The Molepolole Magistrate Court was last week Friday packed to capacity during a bail application hearing of the suspects in the P2 million Trojan Security Company heist.

The magistrate, Ompatile Setlhabi, granted the five suspects bail.

The state is likely to apply for an urgent application at the High Court so that the suspects are remanded in custody to give the police time to wrap up their investigations and avoid suspects tempering with investigations, especially that part of the money has not yet being recovered.

The magistrate told the court that the state failed to argue the case as to why the suspects should not be granted bail.

All the five accused persons (Motlhatlhobi Magopi, Okabetse Malope, Brutas Mokgalo, Gerald Zikhale and Trojan Security guard, Meshack Kangang) were granted bail on their own recognizance.

It is understood that the state is considering re-arresting the suspects as they have pending cases before various courts for, among others, armed robbery.

Meanwhile, some investigators who asked to remain anonymous expressed disappointment after the five were granted bail.

They argued that “the suspects were arrested within 24 hours, including a South African national who was arrested last week in his own country but now the suspects have been granted bail”.

They said investigations are not yet complete as part of the money has not yet being recovered, therefore, chances of recovering the money would be very slim.

RELATED STORIES

Read this week's paper