Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Police post P25 000 reward for information on ritual murder suspects

It is almost eight months now after the ritual murder of a 40-year-old woman from Mochudi yet as of today police have not yet cracked the case.

The suspects are still at large.
Detective Assistant Superintendent Gomolemo Kgathang of Mochudi Police station told Sunday Standard that “though the case is still under investigation, we have no clue on the whereabouts of the suspects”.

He said they are now offering a reward of P25 000 to any body who will forward information that could lead to the arrest of the suspects.

Kgathang assured the public that they will treat whatever information passed to them confidentially, adding that he was hopeful that they would crack the case.

Speaking to the Sunday Standard seven months ago, a spokesperson for the family, Rebecca Setlhabi, said, “It was on the 19th of February this year when my aunt Magdalene Mathema Sebatana mysteriously went missing.”

She said on the day in question, she went outside to take a bath and never returned, only to be found dead recently and in a bad state of decomposing.

She said what disturbed her most was the fact that on the 27th of April this year she phoned the deceased’s cell phone and a lady answered the phone after which they exchanged words and the phone was then cut.

Setlhabi said after the conversation, she went to the police and reported but the police took her lightly.

She said on Sunday evening, the police asked them to accompany them to a crime scene to identify the deceased, and she positively identified her.

The body, she said, was probably dumped, half naked, near Mochudi Trade Fair Grounds, near a rock, while the head was separated from the body.
“How did the head get separated from the body?” she asked.

She is suspicious about the circumstances surrounding her aunt’s death.

Another relative, Gosia Letshole, said, “As the family, we are not really happy about the conduct in which the matter was investigated from the very beginning.”

He said the police did not follow up on the information that they gave them that someone was using the deceased’s cell phone, adding that the police were reluctant to trace who was using the phone.

“It is very disappointing to get such kind of treatment from the people in whose hands we put our trust,” said Letsholo.

He shared the same sentiments with Rebecca that their aunt’s death is very suspicious and revealed that police had not yet informed them about the post mortem report.


Read this week's paper