Sunday, June 16, 2024

Police stray bullet injures 12-year old boy

The family of Ronaldo Muzila, a 12-year-old boy who was shot and injured by the police on the 24th of December 2013 in Francistown is devastated and seeking answers from the police as to how their son got shot.

The boy, a pupil at Phatogo Primary School in Francistown is currently recovering from agun wound at Gaborone Private Hospital (GPH).

In an interview with the victim’s aunt, Onalenna Muzila said that on the 24 of December they were called by the police with a report that their 12 year old son had been accidentally shot by the police.

“News that my nephew was shot were devastating. The police are still not clear as to what really transpired and we only hear through the grapevine that he was caught in the middle of a shooting incident between the police and some crime suspects near Come Again Bar in Monarch. The boy was taken to Nyangabgwe Referral Hospital and was later referred to Gaborone Private Hospital. This is very devastating because the incident has affected him physically and it has also traumatized him. This might affect him psychologically and affect his education as he is a student at Phatogo Primary School. We only thank God that he is alive” she said as she sighed emotionally.

She said that her nephew was shot in the abdomen and is currently recovering very well. She however said that the police are taking care of the victim’s medical bills.

An eye witness who spoke on condition of anonymity said that during the fateful day, she was near “Come Again Bar” in Monarch location when non-uniformed police officers opened fire on a suspect who was at the bar.

“In a split of a second, the suspect quickly picked up a stone, threw and hit the officer who was holding a gun on the head and suddenly I heard a gunshot.┬á People were screaming in panic as I tried to make sense of what was happening. To my surprise I saw a young boy lying on the ground with blood oozing from his stomach. The boy was later taken into a police vehicle to the hospital,” she added.

Reached for comment, Police spokesperson Senior Superintendent Dipheko Motube confirmed that there was a shooting skirmish between the police and three suspects in Monarch location on the 24th of December 2013 resulting in a stray bullet hitting a 12-year-old boy.

He did not divulge much details saying their investigations into the matter are still at a preliminary stage promising that once completed, further details will be communicated.

“There was a skirmish between the police and three suspects which resulted in a stray bullet injuring the 12-year-old boy. We have arrested all the three suspects and the boy is currently in hospital,” he said.


Read this week's paper