Monday, January 25, 2021

Some ‘Cut 8′ employees perish in bus accident

The death toll from a sixty-seater bus accident that occurred last weekend when it rolled over is likely to rise.

Twenty-five passengers were on the bus when the accident occurred, killing four people on the spot, leaving another four in critical condition while seventeen are in stable condition.

Four of the patients have been transferred to Bokamoso Hospital where they are in the Intensive Care Unit.

The road has so far claimed about 13 lives between January and October this year alone.

The station commander of Jwaneng Police Station, Superintendent Kebafitlhetse Mothubane, confirmed the accident.

“Last Saturday evening, at about the twenty-five kilometer peg from Jwaneng, a bus carrying about twenty-five people, all males, over-turned along the Kanye-Jwaneng road and four people died on the spot,” said Mothubane.

He said another four are still in critical condition at Bokamoso Hospital while the remaining seventeen, including the driver, are in stable condition but are under medical observation at Jwaneng Hospital.

Mothubane said post-mortems will be conducted before handing over the deceased to their next of kin for burial.

He said the bus was carrying mostly employees of a construction company involved in the multimillion Cut 8 expansion of Jwaneng Mine.

Mothubane explained that on that night, the bus was on its routine trip of transporting workers from the mine to Kanye where they all dwell.

“We suspect that the driver lost control of the bus due to speed because the bus was badly damaged so much that one would not expect there to be survivors,” said Mothubane.

Asked whether the driver will be charged, he replied that it was too early to comment on that since police investigations had just started.

He reiterated how badly the Kanye-Jwaneng Road needs attention.

RELATED STORIES

Read this week's paper