Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Son of a wealthy businessman shot dead in Block 6

Police have launched a man hunt after a Block 6 resident in Gaborone was gunned down last Friday.
The middle aged man of Indian extraction was fatally shot and undisclosed amount of cash and other valuable household items were stolen during the attack.
Reports from Block 6 suggests  that police are trying to piece together evidence available.
The deceased is the son of businessman Hitesh Naik, the owner of Timber City.
Although it is not yet clear what really transpired, it is reported that the deceased was tracked down by his unknown assailants from his work place.
It is reported that when he entered his yard the assailants pounced on him and shot him from behind and robbed him of undisclosed amount of money.
A blue getaway car was seen within the vicinity and drove away at a high speed after the incident.    
According to police spokesperson assistant commissioner Witness Bosija  the suspects  robbed the family of undisclosed amount of cash, jewellery, laptop as well as cell phones.
Nothing has been recovered thus far.
“Detectives are on the ground trying and establish the motive behind the shooting,” said Bosija,
He said the deceased was rushed to Bokamoso hospital where he was certified dead.

Bosija  appealed to the residents of Block 6 to remain calm as police are doing their best to apprehend the alleged perpetrators.
“I urge those who might have seen what might have happened to come forth with information that can assist the police to trace the whereabouts of the suspects,” he said.
Meanwhile a family friend who opted for anonymity stated that just around eight in the evening “I received bad news that my friend had been robbed and shot dead.”
“This is not the first incident and is worrisome,” he said, adding that he believes that that the act was purely criminal.
Sometime last year the director of Fairgrounds Holdings Mile Montshiwa was also shot dead while trying to enter into his residential house in the same location and later his legal advisor was arrested together with other co accused. The case is still pending before the Gaborone Village Magistrate Court.  


Read this week's paper