Tuesday, May 11, 2021

The latest Transport and Infrastructure Statistics for third quarter of 2014

The Botswana Transport and Infrastructure statistics brief for Q3:2014 report has recorded a total 24,870 aircraft movement, which is a 9.4 percent increase from the 22,735 aircraft movements recorded in Q2: 2014.

The reports, which contains data from July 2014 to September 2014 has recorded different performances in the air transport, motor vehicle registrations, railway transport and water transport sectors. When compared to the same quarter of the previous year (Q3:2013) this was a 0.4 percent decrease in aircraft movements.

“Domestic movements tend to dominate when compared to international movements. In the quarter under review, domestic aircraft movement contributed 78.4 percent of the total aircraft movements while international aircraft movements accounted for the remaining 21.6 percent,” reads the report.

Information contained in the report has shown that Maun airport was the busiest with 59.7 percent of the total aircraft movements, 36.1 percent of which were recorded during the month of August 2014. The months of July and September 2014 contributed 32.6 percent and 31.3 percent of the total aircraft movements respectively. It further stated that Kasane airport followed with 19.0 percent, where the month of August 2014 recorded 32.0 percent and September 2014 recorded 32.3 percent of aircraft movements.

A close look into motor vehicle first registrations shows that the first registrations were those of vehicles that were being registered for the first time but not necessarily brand new.

“During the quarter under review, 11,211 vehicles were registered which was 37.8 percent of the first registrations that have been recorded so far,” says the report.
 
 In that same quarter, passenger cars made 71.2 percent of first registrations, and these were followed by Vans at 12.0 percent. Compared to the previous quarter, there was an increase of 14.4 percent in first registrations. When compared to the same quarter of the previous year, this was an increase of 7.8 percent.
 
“Gaborone recorded the highest number of vehicles contributing 39.6 percent to the total number of first registrations for Quarter 3 2014,” report stated.

There was a 4.6 percent increase when compared to the previous quarter while Mogoditshane and Francistown contributed 23.4 percent and 13.0 percent respectively.

Rail transport dealt with goods transported by rail and the revenue generated from the conveyance of those goods total traffic has been derived from adding Botswana total to transit traffic.  A total of 497,898 goods traffic was recorded for third quater 2014. The imported rail goods accounted for the largest proportion of total rail goods traffic. Rail goods made up 40.7 percent and Exports made up 36.1 percent of total traffic.

“Total Traffic recorded a total increase of 8.7 percent when compared to the previous quarter, Q2 2014. When compared to Q3 2013, this was a 3.2 percent increase,” stated the report.

Imports, exports, local traffic and transit traffic have fluctuated over the years with transit traffic recording the lowest revenue each time.  A total of P82, 329,000 revenue was generated during third quarter 2014, registering a 0.03 percent increase when compared to second quarter 2014.
 
┬á“The highest contributor to revenue was Exports contributing 42.9 percent of the revenue. Of this revenue, 86.6 percent was from Exports to the South,” reads the report.
 
In the┬áwater transport the Kazungula Ferry has provided a gateway to countries north of Botswana, these countries being Angola, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Zambia and Zimbabwe and the ferry is used to move both goods and passengers.┬áKazungula Pontoon passengers’┬ádata shows that for foreigners, less people enter into Botswana and more leave the country.
 
“This trend is realized during all the quarters except for quarter 1 where more enter into the country and less leave the country,” says the report.
 
The opposite can be said about Batswana passengers that fewer passengers leave the country and more enter into the country and that this might be due to the fact that the ferry is mostly used for business purposes.  A total of 127, 046 passengers used the pontoon during third quarter 2014. The report further indicated that this is an increase of 13.2 percent when compared to the previous quarter. When compared to the same quarter of the previous year a 2.8 percent increase was recorded.

RELATED STORIES

Read this week's paper