Cabinet has rejected a proposal to appoint as South African mining expert to head Debswana mining company. The position of Debswana Managing Director is still vacant after the government enclave pushed back against a recommendation to appoint a South African miner to the lucrative post.
Sunday Standard can reveal that South African miner, Moses Madondo was recommended for the position. The top contributor to the country’s GDP, the company has over one-and-half years been without a substantive MD. Debswana top post became vacant after the death of the then MD, Albert Milton on 16th August 2019 after having been appointed as Managing Director for Debswana in December 2018. Lynette Armstrong, Chief Financial Officer, was appointed Acting Managing Director and is believed to be in the race for the corner office.
Madondo, who was turned down at the government enclave to give priority to citizens, is an experienced miner with a demonstrated history of working in the mining & metals industry. He has led large mining operations and is skilled in Engineering Management, Projects and Design, Mining, Processing, Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems, Minerals Resources Management, Continuous Improvement, and Change Management according to his CV. He also worked for the third-largest gold mining company in the world, measured by production.
Some of the candidates who were part of the race included herself, Armstrong some local former miners being Len Makwinja, Montwedi Mphathi, Matome Malema and Kangangwane. Debswana Company External Corporate Affairs Manager, Agatha Sejoe, confirmed that throughout last year up to now, the Board Chairman has been keeping employees updated on the matter.
She said in the most recent update, the Board Chairman assured employees of their commitment to conclude the appointment as soon as possible.
“The recruitment of a substantive Managing Director for Debswana is still currently a Board matter that typically Management cannot comment on until such time that the Board has finalized and announced its decision.,” said Sejoe.
The company says the impacts of COVID-19 contributed to the delay in the recruitment process as the shareholders found themselves having to prioritize Covid-19 challenges during the course of 2020.“They have been cautious not to compromise the recruitment process of the MD, which as can be expected, requires a great deal of forethought and focus,” Sejoe stated.